7 Aug 2009

Diamond

Shortly after I met Swami Vishwananda, he materialized something that looked like a diamond . When he gave it to me casually, at first I was disappointed. Inwardly I thought it was a simple little glass stone. What was I to do with a seemingly worthless piece of glass? In retrospect I feel ashamed of my attitude back then. How could I even have considered that he’d give me something that wasn’t precious? Many years later, after not treating the little stone with due respect, it dawned on me that I may have been wrong about it. I asked some people for their assessment, and as I carefully scratched a little bit of glass I started to realise that it was very possibly a diamond. While I could have taken it to an expert and really found out, I didn’t do that. The point here is that regardless of whether it was a genuine diamond or not, I hadn’t treated it as something precious. It is a symbol of how I treated myself and symbolically how most of us treat ourselves. We’re eagles and diamonds, sons and daughters of the heavens, but we often walk through life regarding ourselves mistakenly to be chickens and fake diamond glass stones.
(by Vishwakurunandhanananda)