27 Aug 2009

At the airport

In September 2005, I was working as a customs Officer at the International Airport in Mauritius. A young man, with a dark complexion, was passing through customs and I stopped him to ask a few questions. “Where do you live?” I asked. “I am a citizen of the world”, he replied. “But, more precisely, when you are in Mauritius, where do you live?” I persisted. “In Quatre-Bornes”, he said. “Are you living behind the Orchard-Tower? “I questioned further. I asked him this as something inside me clicked. He simply smiled and so I asked, “Swami Vishwananda?” He smiled again and said nothing. I had heard about him through a friend of mine three years ago, but never had met him. Since he was right in front of me, I asked Swami Vishwananda, “What do I need to do on my spiritual path?” -“You just have to follow your heart. I will be quite busy in September so I am staying only three days”, he replied. He looked intently into my eyes and I felt as if he was looking deep inside me. Then Swami Vishwananda said, “I’ll see you in February. I will be back for Shivaratri”. Swamiji returned to Mauritius in February of 2006. I was working in the departure hall of the airport, which is one level up from the arrival hall. It was a Sunday morning when he passed through the customs hall and asked my colleague Ajay, “Where is your friend with whom you used to go swimming every week?” “He is upstairs in the departure lounge”, Ajay replied. At that very moment I was having a problem with a passenger who was carrying undeclared goods, and I needed approval from my superior in order to give him clearance. I rushed downstairs to find my superior, only to find Ajay waving at me frantically. I went up to him and he told me that Swami Vishwananda had been looking for me. Immediately I rushed outside the building and soon found Swami. He gave me the most genuine smile. At that precise moment I thought, “I know this person from a very long time ago”. We greeted each other warmly and he gave me his phone number and told me that I could call him anytime. Later I went to meet him with my friend Ami, who is also his disciple now, and we talked for over two hours. Swami told me that indeed we knew each other from a very long time ago. He answered all my questions. Sometimes even without my asking he gave me answers. The following day he gave me a wonderful ring and I became his disciple. I also brought along my wife and two friends who also became his disciples. This started my divine love story with Swami Vishwananda. A year and a half has passed and my life has changed drastically for the better. Though I had many weaknesses, I have always trusted God and he sent me the most loving guru. I will never stop thanking the Lord for this amazing blessing. Dany - Mauritius