22 Jun 2009

Vibhuti

In the Mauritius Ashram, one day in 2005, I had the opportunity to see where the Vibhuthi came from. Swami Vishwananda told us: - “Today I have to make some Vibhuti, I need a lot!” Swami Vishwananda then went to His bedroom, and sat on a bed-sheet wearing a lunghi (Indian robe). He put an “Om Namah Shivaya” Bhajan on the Hifi. In the next room, we also sang “Om Namah Shivayah” for the next 40 minutes. Yogeshini, who had stayed behind the door then called us. The corridor smelt strongly of the beautiful perfume of Vibhuthi. We came into the room, and the smell was even stronger. The atmosphere was Divine. White ash was spread all around Swami Vishwananda, emanating from Him. Swami was white from head to toe!  We took the four corners of the sheet to bring it downstairs and fill up little packets. There was more than 25kg of Vibhuthi and we filled about 7000 packets. They were distributed during Darshan to all participants.  Later I remarked to Him: - “I am used to seeing you with a brown colour. I didn’t recognise you any more. I don’t want to be racist, but I prefer you in brown. Where does all that Vibhuthi come from? How does it happen?” - “It is the light that comes from my body, which transforms itself into Vibhuthi. Before I used to let the people see, but now the light is too bright, it would burn your eyes,” Swami Vishwananda explained.