22 Jun 2009

My first encounter

Swami Vishwananda came to me as the guru who allways look for the disciple. I was already following another Guru and was not looking for a new one. So he came to my home on a nice and sunny summer afternoon, He remained for ten minutes in the doorway. Everyone was awe-inspired. I couldn’t help repeating in my head: “Babaji is here, Babaji is in my house! This is incredible. My God, how beautiful He is!” As a matter of fact, all those present could not say a word in front of this handsome 22-year-old boy, radiating the Divine. We went on the terrace to observe at will this rare bird fallen from Heaven. I was surprised to feel so at ease with Him, like an old friend whom I hadn’t seen for a long time. I showed Him the paintings I had made of my spiritual Master. He looked at them for a long time. He told me that this Master had offered Him a great statue of Krishna when on visit to Mauritius. This comforted me: if my Guru had offered Him a statue, then He must be a good person. Once He left, the only wish I had was to see Him again soon. It was then the start of a series of interviews and meetings where we would sing Bhajans. He asked to do a Yagna at our house, and we did it in the fireplace. During Yagna, all participants throw a mix of grains, herbs and rice into the fire while saying “Swaha”. This means to offer, which at the time I had no idea.  During the Yagna, I suddenly found myself in India, sitting on the floor and repeating “Swaha” and throwing rice into the sacred fire. At the end of the ceremony, I went to Swami Vishwananda and asked Him: - “Tell me, did we know each other in a past life, in India, where we did Yagnas together?” - “Of course, many times!” He spoke these words with a beautiful smile, as if it was the most natural thing in the world. - “Really?” I queried Him. At that moment somebody called Him and He left me standing open-mouthed and voiceless.