15 Dec 2014

The Caring and Giving Guru

 

This article is the fourth one in the series of five posts introduced previously in the article “The Amazing Grace of meeting Sri Swami Vishwananda – Aspects of a living Guru”. It is based on a testimony shared by Bhadra from Moehlin, Switzerland, during last Darshan of Sri Swami Vishwananda held at Shree Peetha Nilaya, on the 29th of November.

Testimony
“I met Sri Swami Vishwananda (Guruji) 10 years ago, in 2004. And it was an interesting situation because I was asked by a friend to come and visit Guruji while working and I had to ask my manager to get away. I manage to do that and arrived there, but had to wait one or two hours. "Typically Swiss," I though, "I really should go back to work. I am waiting here..." Then I saw Guruji, and I knew immediately in that very moment that I just had to stay. There was not much of a choice. And it was also very interesting, because later I drove back to my work, but I knew that I was actually  driving in the wrong direction. Nevertheless, I went back to work and came back two days later.

Sri Swami Vishwananda holding Bhadra's hand

Since that moment many, many things have changed in my life and I want to share this with you. First of all, it's true to say that Guruji saved my life. I was in a very difficult situation, in a relationship, which was very negative for me and it was because of Guruji's presence and support that I managed to get out of that relationship. I would have died, I am sure, because it drained me heavily. Next thing which is amazing is that we were a family in a very difficult financial situation; we were about to lose everything; and we don't know how, but it's true to say that we could keep our home. It was actually out on auction, and twenty-four hours before it was auctioned we could buy it back, with an amazing amount of help from people who had never appeared like that before. When I met Guruji in 2004, I had told Him about this situation and He said, "Don't worry. You will keep everything you need." And this happened. I don't know how, but it happened. And the next thing which was so wonderful is that as a typically modern family we were quite split; we didn't see each other very often. But now we are back here as a family, my mother and sister and myself. My father passed away, but Guruji brought us together and we look into the same direction. It is actually wonderful. He said once, "If you eat together, you look at each other and concentrate on food. But if you pray with each other, you look into the same direction." That's actually what we do. We come here together, what is a great, great gift. Next to that, He brought us prayer. I was not aware how to pray before. I just knew that I would love to pray. I just wanted to pray but didn't know how, and going to church was not enough; I felt in my heart that it was not sufficient. So we have learned to pray sincerely.

Sri Swami Vishwananda teaches us all how to pray by His own example since he was 2 years old (see below information about the book Blossoming of the Heart). These photos were taken during different events held at Shree Peetha Nilaya

And this goes on – He brought us Atma Kriya Yoga, and we have the possibility to keep our sanity by an exercise which takes maybe 5-10 minutes every day. In this very intense time of consumption and speed, we have a technique which keeps our sanity, which brings us forward and which connects us back to God, consciously bringing us home. Being part of this family, I learned what it means to serve people by Guruji's example and He helps us, He is an inspiration to help people as well. If you look into the faces of people, you can really do something for them. This is very much enriching, and helps our own progress. Furthermore, He brought us a temple – my family now has a house with a private temple, that of course is opening for people to come and pray with us. We do prayers mostly every second day in average, in the evening after work; we do evening prayers. It's amazing! So if we count all these together, there are so many things to be grateful for. And last, but not least, there are so many like-minded people who were brought into my life through Him. There are so many friends now, real friends! Not just friends because of business, friends because of money and family relations, but real friends.

Bhakti Marga Family - Photos taken in 2013 during Yagna for Friends of Bhakti Marga (up) and
Spiritual opening of Shree Peetha Nilaya (down)

So the message from my perspective is a big, big thank to You, Guruji. And to summarise: for saving my life, for saving a home, for bringing the family together, for bringing prayers and Atma Kriya Yoga, for bringing the option to serve, for bringing a temple to our home, for meeting wonderful people. So for this, a big thank you and to all who have contributed for this place, Shree Peetha Nilaya, to exist.” - Bhadra, Moehlin, Switzerland

Photos taken in 2013 - Shree Peetha Nilaya's official opening (down) and spiritual opening (up)

The Sri Swami Vishwananda's Sri Guru Gita – Commentary on the great mysteries of the Guru Disciple Relationship will be launched during Christmas Celebrations at Shree Peetha Nilaya (Bhakti Marga shop)
In the book Blossoming of the Heart, which is available in the Bhakti Marga shop, relatives, friends, devotees and disciples from different countries and different cultural backgrounds share their very personal experiences with Sri Swami Vishwananda. The original English version (right)  is already translated in German (left), Polish and Portuguese.