10 Aug 2014

Chapter 11: Bhagavad Gita Course with Swami Vishwananda




On August 9th, 2014 Swamiji covered Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita, titled: Vishvaroopa Darshana Yoga

In Chapter 11, Arjuna desired to directly experience the unrestricted glory of Lord Nārāyaṇa — the Supreme Brahman, who is the ultimate goal of all who practice Bhakti Yoga. Krishna, out of his infinite mercy reveled his true form to Arjuna. 

General topics covered in the Chapter:

  • The vision of God is the ultimate aim of a seeker
  • Lord Krishna shows His cosmic form
  • One may not be prepared or qualified to see God
  • Arjuna is frightened to see the Cosmic form
  • Arjuna’s prayers to the Cosmic form
  • God can be seen by devotional love

Excerpt commentary from Swamiji:

25
daṃṣṭrā-karālāni ca te mukhāni
dṛṣṭvaiva kālānala sannibhāni
diśo na jāne na labheca śarma
prasīda deveśa jagannivāsa

As I look upon Your mouths terrible with many tusks of destruction. Your faces like the fires of Death and Time, I lose sense of the directions and find no peace. Turn Your heart to grace, O God of Gods! Refuge of all the worlds!

“Arjuna is expressing himself in the state of deep amazement and suffering, happy and confused at the same time. He implores Lord Krishna to have mercy on him. ‘Turn Your heart to Grace’, he said, ‘Have mercy on me. I can't handle this Cosmic Form of Yours which is in front of my eyes.’ By this he is asking Krishna, ‘Please my Lord, withdraw this terrible Cosmic Form from my eyes.’

Very often people ask for things which they think it will be good for them and then when they have it they don’t know how to handle it. So like that, it happens in daily life. We ask for things without knowing what we are asking, how it will come. I remember somebody asking me, ‘Ah, you know, I want to realise myself straight away.’ And I asked the person, ‘Do you know what you are asking for?’ He said, ‘Yes, I know.’ So I said, ‘Okay, fine! When you know what you are asking for, may God bless you with it.’ And at that moment his life became upside down, everything turned, he was crying, ‘I didn’t ask for that, I am suffering.’ That´s why it's not good to ask. When you really want to ask, ask God for His Love and in that you are fully guaranteed, all guaranties are inside it."


Testimony:

"Each day is special in its own way and I liked today very much. When Swami was talking about the cosmic form I tried to imagine it but it was impossible." - Lilavati, Poland 

---


Sri Swami Vishwananda has decided to give commentary on the Shreemad Bhagavad Gita, the eternal Word of Lord Sri Krishna. It will take place over 18 consecutive days, and each day will cover one chapter. Guruji will give his commentary with a particular Bhakti perspective.

For now, we will provide a small portion of the commentary on this blog for those who could not attend the course. At a later stage, we will offer the full length of the Gita commentary as a book and also as CD and DVD sets.